As a wholesale cedar supply company in Memphis, TN, we here at Bolen-Brunson-Bell Lumber Co. get a lot of questions from customers who are curious about why they should use cedar rather than another material on any given construction project. While many different materials come with different benefits, we believe that cedar is one of the most well rounded, beneficial materials you can find for both indoor and outdoor construction.
If you do not know very much about cedar construction, read on to learn why we are proud to be a wholesale cedar supply company in Memphis, TN:
- Durability: Cedar grows mainly in the Pacific Northwest region of North America. This area is naturally very damp, which means that trees face the dangers of mold, rot and shrinking or expanding due to moisture. Fortunately, cedar trees have evolved over thousands of years to resist those dangers, and are remarkably stable and durable as a result. When you construct a new building using cedar wood, you will not have to worry about it wearing, rotting or developing mold.
- Insulation: Cedar is known for being a very porous wood. This means that when you use it as an extra layer of siding on the outside of a home or commercial building, it provides natural insulation. Many people pay extra money for special insulation, or pay high utility bills to keep their home cool in the summer and warm in the winter. When you choose to use cedar in construction, you will not have to worry about that nearly as much.
- Noise absorption: Another perk of cedar being very porous is that it also makes for excellent natural soundproofing. Using cedar walls inside of your home will keep noise from traveling around the entire building, and the use of cedar for outside construction will keep the entire neighborhood from hearing your family’s business. All in all, it is a win-win situation.
- Aesthetically pleasing: Beyond the highly practical benefits of using cedar wood, it is also worth taking a moment to appreciate cedar’s natural beauty. The wood comes in many shades, ranging from very light shades to darker, redder iterations. The grain of the wood makes for lovely natural decoration, and the versatility of cedar makes it great for walls, floors, ceilings and built-in fixtures throughout your home or commercial space.
- Stained or painted: Another visual advantage of using cedar is that the wood responds well both to being stained and to being primed and painted. Whether you want to keep the wood’s natural look, or you want to have a more colorful home while still benefitting from the durability and porousness of cedar, this wood is really an excellent option.
Whatever your reasons are for choosing cedar for your indoor or outdoor construction project, you can get all the cedar you need from Bolen-Brunson-Bell Lumber Co., your local wholesale cedar supply company in Memphis, TN. We look forward to supplying you with high quality, reasonably priced cedar and all the advice you could need about putting it to use.