Few home improvement projects are quite as rewarding as building a deck. Not only do you acquire new and enjoyable living space, you also can increase your home’s value by adding on a brand new deck. If you are getting ready to build a deck, at some point you will have to choose a material you want to work with. There are many choices available, but few offer quite as many advantages as cedar. Here are five benefits of using cedar for your new deck, brought to you by your local western red cedar supplier in Memphis, TN:
- Aesthetics: Take a look at all the material choices out there, and you quickly notice why so many deck builders choose western red cedar—nothing compares when it comes to aesthetics. Cedar is the most beautiful option available, and it gets that way naturally, without requiring any painting or staining to improve its visual appeal. Focusing on aesthetics is an easy way to ensure the final product looks great and adds as much home value as possible.
- Durability: Whether you build your own deck or hire a professional contractor to take on the project for you, your deck is ultimately an investment. This means that you want your new outdoor deck to last and not require extensive repair work every several years. Any western red cedar supplier in Memphis, TN will tell you that this type of wood is great for its durability. Cedar is also highly resistant to rot, mildew and mold, and it resists bug and insect infestations better than most other woods.
- Unexpected savings: Red cedar used for decking material requires very little maintenance. Since it is so durable and naturally beautiful, you will not spend your time staining, painting or repairing your deck. Save money and time over the long term with cedar. It is also easier to work with, which translates to lower labor costs. Cedar might cost more money up front than some alternative materials, but since it is such a low-maintenance and long-lasting material, you save money over time.
- Weather resistance: Cedar decking will not absorb much moisture, even if you decide to leave it untreated. An important consideration when it comes to choosing a decking material is how well the deck will handle changing seasons and fluctuations in weather. Despite what you might hear, wood is just as strong as plastic throughout the year, so long as you choose the right wood. Go with western red cedar because it handles every season and will be fine through harsh storms.
- Fast installation: Deck builders love working with cedar since it takes less time to finish construction. For you, this means lower initial labor costs and a project that is done much faster than had you chosen another material. When you start planning a new deck, you will want the project done as quickly as possible. Pick cedar for a fast installation.
For your deck project, consider using western red cedar wood as your building material. Contact a western red cedar supplier in Memphis, TN to discuss your new deck project.